This week I started work on some desert tiles. I’m happy with the colours and the base tiles are coming out good. It’s still looking a bit too “generic” for my liking at the moment though. It looks like a desert, but not necessarily a desert on a strange alien planet.
The sky could probably use some work to look a bit less plain too, though I’m thinking of putting an animated sand storm effect of some kind in front of everything, so that may take care of that. In the rough sequence outline for the game, the player will spend a fair bit of time going between the jungle and desert areas, so getting a good contrast between the tilesets for both will be important.
It’s not for this level, but I also put together a space sky with stars that arc across the sky:
Another thing I’ve been doing this week is writing some of the flavour text to provide back story through readable computers and PDAs. These pop up on full-screen overlays like so:
My struggles with functioning enemy AI have been put on hold for the moment. One of the biggest problems I’ve encountered is getting Multimedia Fusion’s unique object identifiers and Box2D’s body IDs to recognise one another, meaning there are problems when you try to set up events to have one affect the other. Sometimes the game doesn’t know which enemy I’m trying to affect with an event, so, for example, all the enemies change direction at the same time, which is not ideal! I’ll come back to that problem when I have more patience for it!